Saturday, March 6, 2010

Mowry, a ghost town

On Friday Ellen and I met our ATV group at the Mercedes Restaurant in Patagonia. After a good breakfast, we drove to our staging site, unloaded the Honda and went on our ride with Pat & Charlie, Rick and Kristina, and Jerry and Gator, his dog. Vickie decided not to ride, I think because she knew it was going to be a rocky ride.

At our lunch site in Mowry


We went up a nice hill to view the San Rafael Valley. This is now dubbed Geode Hill, as we have found many many round geodes, some split with some crystals showing. I have enough for the grandkids and some for us as well.



We then explored some trails, one of which had mountain lion pawprints for at least a mile. We had lunch at Mowry, a ghost town which thrived from a coal and lead mine. Some of the remains of the buildings can still be seen. It was a gorgeous sunny day, and it was good to be out in nature.



Remains of an adobe building in Mowry


Our last stop was a rest at the cemetery of Harshaw. It was amazing to see tier after tier of grave sites on a rocky hillside. Between sites were narrow footpaths, with very tricky footing. I would think that funerals would be a very difficult thing here on a rocky hillside. All the names we could make out were hispanic.



Today I puttered around getting some woodcarving done, and prep work done for a couple of new carvings. The weather got funny, windy and when I saw rain falling in the San Pedro River Valley, I packed up and stayed inside. Gave myself a haircut, shaved my face and head, then took a nap in anticipation of going dancing in Tombstone tonight.

1 comment: